Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 December 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Source: Goodreads
Synopsis:

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

Hey Guys,

So I've had TATBILB on my to-read list for a while now so since I've gotten back into a YA-mood I decided to give it a shot.

My thoughts:

First- I liked the back story of Lara Jean. Half Korean, dead mother, middle child of three sisters, single dad, all off that. It made for an interesting inner dialogue and also, I dunno, it just didn't feel like I was reading any other ya book, or she was just a regurgitation of another ya character. Even though the dead parent thing has been played way out in ya she didn't use it as an excuse for bad behaviour and shutting out the world or any other type of woe-is-me bleakness that is rampant in a lot of ya lit. 

Second- I liked that I didn't know which guy I was rooting for. And it wasn't a major love triangle. I hate love triangles. Seriously, if I'd heard that there was even the slightest of love triangles in this, I wouldn't have read it. My hatred for all things love triangle runs that deep. Side note you would not believe the amount of times I typed traingle and then had to retype.

Third- Lara Jean is insane. So many times while reading I thought, she is crazy. It's been a few days now since I read the book so I can't give you any direct examples but yeah. 

Fourth- I liked the book but at no point was I completely wowed. It was well written and enjoyable but not mind blowing.

Note: 3.75 stars. Clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment