Search This Blog

Saturday 13 December 2014

Cross My Heart and Hope To Spy and Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter

Source: Goodreads
Source: Goodreads



















Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy Synopsis:

Cammie Morgan is back, and it's clear that her life hasn't calmed down since the events of I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You. At first, giddy anticipation is in the air. Gallagher Academy, Cammie's elite spy school, is hosting a visit from a covert training center for boys. Soon after the boys' arrival, though, everything goes dangerously awry when a series of security breaches are discovered at the academy. Worse yet, teenage agent-in-training Cammie is being blamed for the penetration. With the school's top-secret status at risk, the Gallagher Girls have to work quickly to save their beloved school.

Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover Synopsis:

When Cammie "The Chameleon" Morgan visits her roommate Macey in Boston, she thinks she's in for an exciting end to her summer break. After all, she's there to watch Macey's father accept the nomination for vice president of the United States. But when you go to the world's best school (for spies), "exciting" and "deadly" are never far apart. Cammie and Macey soon find themselves trapped in a kidnappers' plot, with only their espionage skills to save them.

As her junior year begins, Cammie can't shake the memory of what happened in Boston, and even the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women doesn't feel like the safe haven it once did. Shocking secrets and old flames seem to lurk around every one of the mansion's corners as Cammie and her friends struggle to answer the questions, Who is after Macey? And how can the Gallagher Girls keep her safe?

Soon Cammie is joining Bex and Liz as Macey's private security team on the campaign trail. The girls must use their spy training at every turn as the stakes are raised, and Cammie gets closer and closer to the shocking truth


So taking a break from Rereads, I decided to try out the Gallagher girls series. See the thing is I read the first installment of the series about five or six years ago and I loved it but I didn't continue with the second. At the time, it was the first time I'd read any kind of spy novel so that made it doubly exciting. So today I decided it was time to pick up where I left off.

Now I don't have a lot to say. I read both #2 and 3 in the series on the same day. And all in all it was a great read, I really like the main character and all of her friends. Their personalities and voices were all very thought out and developed and nobody did anything that made me label them too stupid to live (TSTL). So as was the case in both books, I was chugging along, reading, getting into the story, excited to see how the mysteries will resolve, ready to proclaim the book(s) a four star read. But then all of a sudden, at like 80-90% things just got stupid, or convoluted, or I was left thinking "why is this happening" or "what exactly is happening" and so both books ended with a feeling a disappointment. I mean I understand cliffhangers, and nonresolutions. I get why they're present in series'. But this wasn't disappointment due to a cliffhanger, this was just disappointment due to endings that don't really match the quality of the rest of the books.

In my opinion.

But I'd still recommend them, and I will (at some point) finish this series.

Note: 3.75 stars. The squeakiest of cleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment