Search This Blog

Monday 15 September 2014

Ice Angel by Elizabeth Hanbury


Synopsis:
 When mysterious young widow Lady Isabella Vane arrives in London, she is quickly christened the "Ice Angel" because of her reserved manner and ethereal beauty. While society wonders at the reasons for Lady Vane's demeanor and the secrets that lurk in her past, the Earl of Bramwell continues in his devil-may-care approach to life. Hal has no desire for serious relationships with women since his own bitter disappointment several years earlier. However, once their paths cross, Hal's interest is sparked and he becomes obsessed with discovering what lies beneath the ravishing Isabella's icy exterior. But can Isabella ever overcome her past to find love?

This will be quick. I liked this enough. I liked the premise, the two main characters had each been romantically hurt in the past, Isabella more than Hal. Even though I rolled my eyes at her initial prejudice against him, I got over that quickly enough and began to enjoy(ish) the story. However where this book fell short in my opinion was with the contrived 'drama'/obstacle that occurred. It was the same thing that I've seen time and time again and I could see it coming from 25 miles away. And to be honest I always feel cheated/disappointed when an authour goes for the formulaic instead of the original... Otherwise it was a pleasant if not spectacular or particularly imaginative read.

Note 3.25 Stars. Content: kisses, one wedding night scene where sex is described using abstract/poetic/flowery language as opposed to descriptive/graphic language. So the book is cleanish depending on your version of what clean is.

No comments:

Post a Comment